Tuesday, December 16, 2008

e.r. revisited

It's Hannah's turn! I don't remember taking her to the e.r. for any reason before now. She's had her share of doctors and surgeries. (C'mon, she's related to us!) But really, nothing urgent! *just remembered a bump on the head in 2002- no concussion.

Hannah has been getting nightly shots of a medication called Genotropin, which is supposed to help her grow. She is so excited about growing that she measures at least twice a week. Her growth chart has a solid pencil block between 44 and 46 inches instead of individual lines because she marks it herself, and marks it often... I digress...

It was Saturday night at bedtime. Not a creature was stirring because it was 15 degrees below zero, with a windchill of negative 45 or so. Time for Hannah's shot. This is done with the help of a spring-loaded pen, with teeny tiny needles. She is very brave, or at least motivated. But no tears or wiggling or drama occurred. Until I went to put the cap on the needle. No needle. Was there a needle when we started? There had to be. I would have noticed. Um... Chris? There's no needle. No needle? What do you mean? There has to be a needle. There is a cap, but the needle is broken off. Broken off where? Where could it have gone? Wouldn't it have to be (gulp) in her leg? And then there were tears. And drama. I think I cried too.

I can't feel it in there. Can you? Does it hurt? (Duh!) Do you think it will work its way out? More likely it will work deeper. The sharp end is in. Crap. Can it wait til Monday? It might get infected. Guess we better go.

It wasn't in there. I don't know where it went, but the x-rays (multiple) prove it is not in her leg. A big thanks to Dr. G, wonderful nurses, and Grandma, who is willing to come to the e.r. late on a Saturday in sub-arctic temperatures!

No comments: