Thursday, January 8, 2009

that's hir-AIL-ious

The main point of Blogging is to share all the funny, cute, interesting, amazing, day to day joys of raising my unique children. Jeffery is certainly funny at times. For about a year, he has been learning new vocabulary words at school. Not really a word a day, but a few a week- all big words. He is really into this, and actually uses his new words appropriately in context quite often. We hear a lot of "colossal", "perturbed", and "culprit". As in.. dad is the culprit when Jeff is perturbed and someone is in colossal trouble... Sometimes though, while his use of the word is correct, his pronunciation is a bit lacking. For example.... an extremely amusing event can be called "Hir-AIL-ious". I now actually hear the word that way in my head.

Yesterday I learned the opposite of hir-ail-ious... It's "more-iserable." As in "How was your Spanish skit today?" Sigh- "It was more-iserable." I thought about it a minute.... "What does that mean?" "It means 'not good'". Pause. "Jeff? Is more-iserable the opposite of hir-ailious?" Excitedly... "Yes! That's it!"

Alex analyzed more-iserable and decided it's a hybrid of "more" and "miserable". I'm sure he's right, and I just chuckle all the time about it. I'm with Jeff.... Why stick with the simple "Good" or "bad" when you can be "Hir-ailious"??

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Hi, I just found your blog and was wondering if I could add it to my list! Your Jeff is such a character, and I sure miss Hannah in my class!!

heatherann said...

Welcome! I'm a completely random blogger! I love writing with no rhyme or reason.